heh, no problem simon,
I needed a reinstall of windows on them anyways, so I did just that, both
are fine now.

there were no error messages other than can't detect modem, or port is
allready in use
so i can only assume (since the modem was in control panel, but wouldnt pass
diagnostics)
that some program had loaded something into the memory location used by the
com ports.

thanks for the time in replying, I'm still not 100% sure what caused it

Dean