On Sun, Jan 12, 2003 at 12:39:29PM +0000, Andrew Collier wrote:
> On Sunday, January 12, 2003, at 10:48  am, Stuart Brady wrote:

> >Presumably a good deal of work would be needed to slow the game back
> >down to its original speed, after the framerate had been increased?
>
> As far as I know, they didn't bother. Although, because of RAM
> contention, the running speed of the Sam in Mode 1 is not all that
> faster than the Spectrum.

I wan't clear - I meant to refer to the speedup that would have been
obtained had they decided to use Mode 2 instead of Mode 1.

> >Yes, the SAM and Spectrum 128k do provide page flipping. If I remember
> >correctly, you are limited to just two pages on the Spectrum 128k, but
> >but on the SAM, any page in main memory may be used. I've not actually
> >tried using page 31 in modes 3 and 4 yet, but I expect that this uses
> >page 0 for the upper 8k of the video memory.
>
> A mode 3 or 4 screen always starts on an even numbered page. If you
> output 31 (and mode bits) to the VMPR than you'll get a screen starting
> at page 30.

Ouch. If bit 6 of the VMPR is set, bit 0 is taken as 0? I see now that
Version 3.0 of the tech manual makes note of this, but it's not quite as
clear as it could have been. Thanks for telling me.

> >I also wonder whether the extra memory would be of particular benefit.
>
> Yes, at least if you're drawing in Mode 4. Do you remember a demo
> called DWC (Dead Wild Cat) by Marc Broster on Fred 50? It drew rotating
> 3D wireframe objects and usually kept up to 50 fps. He used most of the
> Sam's memory to hold pre-calculated line drawing routines.

I will certainly take a look at this some time soon. Thanks.
--
Stuart Brady