>> I also wonder whether the extra memory would be of particular benefit.
>
>Yes, at least if you're drawing in Mode 4. Do you remember a demo
>called DWC (Dead Wild Cat) by Marc Broster on Fred 50? It drew rotating
>3D wireframe objects and usually kept up to 50 fps. He used most of the
>Sam's memory to hold pre-calculated line drawing routines.

You mean, if he had been able to go to extremes, having 256*192 * 256*192
routines, one for each possible [clipped] slope and position of line?

Anyway, one of the benefits of an Elite type game is that the trig table
requirements are miniscule - when I wrote a clone of the Elite engine (slightly
cheekily, since it was after I'd played with the Elite:TNK source) for the
Atari Lynx (4Mhz 6502, but with a coprocessor offering hardware multiply and
divide, and another offering line drawing and display clearing and so on) I got
away with only storing trig for +/- 5 degrees or so. But that was using
orthonomal basis' (bases?) to retain orientation information - you'd obviously
have a much rougher time with quaternions. Not that I reckon they'd be a good
choice - you'd gain on compositions but lose massively on frame rendering.

I always thought a good way to attack a vector renderer on the SAM Coupé would
be to stick in black and white, but to take advantage of the 16 colour palette
and the scanline interrupts to clear 1/16ths of scanlines which are not reused
very cheaply. Or possibly to clear 16x16 blocks of pixels, depending on how
much you want to expend on interrupt palette things. Otherwise, it always
strikes me that clearing the display costs almost as much as drawing it in the
first place which is a stupid situation to be in.

Or perhaps I am too fanciful?

-Thomas

When words aren't enough - Vodafone live! A new world of colour, sounds,
picture messages and information on your mobile. <a
href="http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;4909903;7724245;q?http://www.vodafone.co.uk/live";>
Click here</a> to find out more.