From: Gavin Smith [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 20 November 2004 13:34
To: sam-users@nvg.ntnu.no
Subject: Re: Dare to share (was re: Days of Sorcery)

> However, I do take your point that floppy disks have a limited
> lifespan, so we should try to make sure that everything is imaged and
> catalogued. Perhaps we could maintain a list of what images exist -
> not necessarily to release the images right now, but to make sure that
> everything will still be available, as and when we can agree on what
> is the right thing to do with it.

It's 2004, how many more years are we going to talk about it? :) My
suggestion was that we have a consultation period (bit of a fancy term
when referring to SAM software!) of about 4 weeks for each and every
bit of software before we post the image online. If we can get the
author's written permission in that time, great. If we can think of a
reason not to post the image (or indeed if the author refuses
permission), then obviously we don't.

Isn't that the lesser of two evils? One evil is to let the stuff rot
away (we're the last few remaining who give a stuff about the SAM
remember so let's not lose perspective), lost forever - the other evil
is to go to reasonable lengths to gain permission, and failing that we
post images that we think aren't too controversial. I really think it's
the most sensible of the two.

I'll have something on the net before the weekend is out and we can
debate it - it will give us something to talk about at least ;)

Gavin

This e-mail is private and confidential and is for the
addressee only. You are prohibited from using, printing,
distributing or disseminating it or any information contained
in it, save to the intended recipient.