Thanks for the encouragement guys, it really helps to read your comments!

> you havent managed to squeez a three player verison out of the sams
> screen have you
> the blocks are only attribute squares after all

Funny you should ask this!  Although I haven't actually tried it, 4
players would fit!  I've made the blocks quite small, 6x6, and they
are placed so the outlines overlap making them take up slightly less
space again so 50 something pixels for each player.  I always had it
in the back of my mind that any more than 2 players would be done
online, with 2 players on one Sam VS 2 on another, or all against all.
 This was mainly because of how cramped 3 or 4 pairs of hands would be
on the keyboard.
I think I've read that the Sam does support multiple joysticks but
there's a bug in the hardware somewhere?
I have no idea how feasible all that would be with the trinity, but
I've thought a lot about the implementation in terms of gameplay.
I think I've structured things right so it would be easy enough to
create a 1-4 player game.

>pity no one put letters on teh blocks so that as a line or more is
> wiped off you get a kind of scabble letter game to play for a bonus -
> and a bit of a wrest from joystick wrangling

I'm sure I've seen something like that but with numbers on the blocks,
can't think where though.  I guess a maths based game solves the
problem of storing a dictionary!

> was hoping to develop pop and lemmings but need to sit down with the
> pic controller board first unless you could explain how to disassemble
> 128k spectrum software?

I wouldn't know how to disassemble 16K spectrum software.  If I did
I'd make a mode 4 version of Sandy White's Ant Attack and never leave
the house again :)