Those aren't cross compilers; a cross compiler would convert a high
level language such as C to a Sam Coupe binary on a platform like the
PC. Sam C and Sam Vision run directly on the Sam, making them a lot
harder to slot into a development environment and likely to operate
more slowly and with lower quality output (since there's a
speed/space/time trade-off involved in compiler construction, at least
on smaller machines).

Anyway, I'll look into z88dk having not even heard of it before. At
the minute I'm reading the Smalltalk-80 book and it's very
interesting, even as someone who does Objective-C every day.