3d data isn't graphics mode dependant like 2d data, but also doesn't
have any particular common layout so it's really difficult to pull
from existing titles. That's in contrast to 2d data, since you pretty
much always store that in the format it would need to be in video
memory in order to appear on screen.

I'm using a standard Bresenham drawer (ie, each pixel it asks itself
'should I continue straight or is this a stair step?') so in principle
Mode 3 would cost more. I've never been able to decide whether a run
length Bresenham drawer (which is one 8 bit divide, but then the
decision is 'is this run n pixels or n+1' so you save a lot on the
journey across — and this explicitly isn't a fixed point DDA method)
would be faster in principle. I guess you'd ideally switch from one to
the other depending on line length. If so, then obviously that would
help in Mode 3 where lines are, on average, twice as long in pixels.

In the code I've just released, change the line drawer in
drawline.z80s and then the constants on lines 661, 663 and 145 to
implement an alternative graphics mode.