NB: Contrast this with France and Germany

London Times
February 10, 2003
Arab summit
Leaders braced for an imminent war
>From Rana Sabbagh-Gargour in Amman

WASHINGTON'S key Arab allies appear to have abandoned diplomatic efforts to
prevent war on Iraq and are bracing for an imminent conflict any day after
February 15, Arab officials said yesterday.

King Abdullah of Jordan and the leaders of Egypt and Saudi Arabia said they
had also abandoned plans for an emergency Arab summit in Cairo later this
month on the ground that it would fail to avert war.

Instead, they want to revert to the original plans for a regular Arab summit
on March 24, according to an official who attended Saturday's meeting here
between the King and President Mubarak of Egypt.

Mr Mubarak held talks yesterday with Colonel Muammar Gaddafi, the Libyan
leader, President Assad of Syria and Saud al-Faisal, the Saudi Foreign
Minister, but emerged despondent. "We would make ourselves a laughing stock
if we thought we could postpone a war," he said. He said that only the US,
Britain and the UN could wage the war, or postpone it.