FROM: Randy Scheunemann

President, Committee for the Liberation of Iraq

SUBJECT:     New York Sun Editorial

As the liberation of Iraq is underway, this editorial notes what Iraqi opposition leader Ahmed Chalabi predicted many years ago: that Iraqis would welcome their liberation and many would not fight for the Ba'athist regime.  It was Chalabi's vision and energy that was a driving force behind the Iraq Liberation Act of 1998 (Public Law 105-338).  He is certain to be an important player in post-Saddam Iraq.  His foresight deserves attention.

THE NEW YORK SUN

Chalabi’s Wisdom

Editorial&Opinon

March 21, 2003

Ahmed Chalabi, president of the Executive Council of the Iraqi National Congress, June 2, 1997, in a speech to the board of the Jewish Institute for National Security Affairs:

As the 1st Marine division, the Army’s 7th Cavalry, and the 3rd Infantry rolled into Iraq yesterday, the words we kept thinking of were those of Ahmed Chalabi. We have talked with him dozens of times over the past six years, and he has never wavered in the prediction that neither the Iraqi people nor the Iraqi military rank and file support the dictator in Baghdad. He has been steadfast in advising that if we summon the will to challenge it, the army will not fight.

Opposition to Saddam has increased…The army will not fight for him and the people remain desperate for an alternative.…Our experience has shown that the principal difficulty we will face is the care and feeding of the deserting Iraqi Army.

We wouldn’t want to carry this too far; it is, after all, only the earliest hours of the ground assault by coalition forces, and Saddam’s few loyalists could yet unleash the chemical and biological weapons they have been hiding. Even combat without a fighting enemy can be risky, as the deaths of 16 American and British Marines in a helicopter accident last night sadly reminded us. Still, the reports from reporters traveling with the troops yesterday made it clear that the American and other coalition forces were facing only scattered armed resistance. "No fire was being returned," is the way an A.P. dispatch from southern Iraq put it.

As Mr. Chalabi underscored almost six years ago, this is a consequence of the brutal nature of Saddam’s regime and the Iraqi people’s desperation for an alternative. People will fight to the death for freedom; they will fight a good deal less enthusiastically, or not at all, for a brutal tyrant like Saddam.

The Iraqi mood was illuminated, as well, by the comments of a foreign correspondent of the New York Times, John F. Burns, who was in the enemy capital and was interviewed on PBS the first night of the war. Mr. Burns said, "Many, many Iraqis are telling us now, not always in the whispers we have only heard in the past but now in quite candid conversations, that they are waiting for America to come and bring them liberty." This notion seemed to amaze Mr. Burns’s interlocutor on the publicly funded broadcasting system. "It’s very hard though for anybody to understand this," Mr. Burns said. "It can only be understood in terms of the depth of the repression here. It has to be said that this is not universal of course...All I can tell you is, and every reporter who is currently here will attest to this, that the most extraordinary experience of the last few days has been a sudden breaking of the ice here, with people in every corner of life coming forward to tell us that they understand what America is about in this," said Mr. Burns, "There is absolutely, can I just say, there is absolutely no doubt, no doubt, that there are many, many Iraqis who see what is about to happen here as the moment of liberation."

To Mr. Chalabi and to those who have followed his struggle these past years, it’s not hard to understand. It’s easy to understand how among those who view the American invasion as the moment of liberation would be many Iraqis in that nation’s army. Secretary Rumsfeld was being quoted repeatedly as saying that those who refuse to fight for the dying regime and lay down their arms will be welcomed by the liberators. For those who surrender to American forces, the 2 nd Brigade commander, Col. David Perkins, told the Washington Post, "It will probably be the best treatment they’ve had in months."

Indeed, there was a strange lull in the attack after the first burst aimed at the Iraqi capital, as intelligence officers pored over the film of Saddam (or his double) insisting that he was alive and well and directing matters in the city in which his suspected hideout had just been bombed. There could be terrible surprises, but it’s not too soon to express the hope that we will see in the coming days Mr. Chalabi’s predictions borne out.

Yesterday, Mr. Chalabi himself spoke to the Iraqi people on the American-funded Arabic station Radio Sawa, saying: "The hour of liberation has come. Your dark night is coming to an end." He also told the Iraqi military to disobey Saddam’s orders and to defect and join in the liberation efforts. It must have been for Mr. Chalabi a moment extraordinarily exhilarating.

Committee for the Liberation of Iraq

918 Pennsylvania Avenue, SE

Washington, DC  20003

(202) 543-1037