Wall Street Journal
REVIEW & OUTLOOK
The Chalabi Fiasco
He's a pawn in a much larger strategic game.
Wednesday, May 26, 2004 12:01 a.m. EDT

The more we dig into last week's Baghdad raid against Ahmed Chalabi, the
more curious it seems. Clearly there's much more going on here than a fight
over one man's credibility.

If nothing else, this has to be the strangest "spy" case in U.S. history. On
the day of last week's raid, a spokesman for U.S. regent L. Paul Bremer
denied that Mr. Chalabi was even the target. But the papers and TV shows
have since been filled with accusations that Mr. Chalabi provided classified
information to Iran. None of his accusers is ever on the record, and no one
has explained how Mr. Chalabi would have access to such U.S. secrets. But
someone in the U.S. government clearly wants to damage him.

For someone so accused, Mr. Chalabi is hardly backing down. He appeared on
any TV network that would have him last weekend, denying the charges and
offering to visit Capitol Hill and face his accusers under oath. Meanwhile,
Joint Chiefs Chairman Richard Myers told Congress last week that Mr.
Chalabi's political group, the Iraqi National Congress (INC), "has provided
intelligence to our intelligence unit there in Baghdad that has saved
soldiers' lives."

That's not just General Myers's opinion. Back in March, the Pentagon
requested feedback on the effectiveness of cooperation from five Iraq
political organizations. The written report from the chief intelligence
officer of one front-line U.S. division declared that the INC "proved to be
head and shoulders above the information provided by the other four
organizations."

According to this report--which is classified but was made available to
us--the INC has provided "imminent threat warning" and "reconnaissance
surveillance capability that U.S. forces cannot match in an urban
environment." For example, Saddam Hussein was captured last December with
documents containing eight names. The INC was directly responsible for the
capture of four on that list, and thanks to its lead a fifth was captured
within a month.

The intelligence assessment calls the INC a "true force multiplier" and says
that the U.S. division's "ability to accomplish our mission would have been
significantly hampered" without its support. "In the final analysis, the INC
has been directly responsible for saving the lives of numerous soldiers as a
result of early warning and providing surveillance of known enemy elements,"
the report says.

Does this sound like the work of "con men" opposed to U.S. interests in
Iraq? Without security clearance ourselves, we can't determine the real
truth. But at a minimum, the above suggests that our troops in Iraq have a
different view of Mr. Chalabi and the INC than the leakers in Washington or
at the Coalition Provisional Authority. The charge of spying for Iran is
serious enough that Mr. Chalabi, Iraqis and the U.S. have a substantial
stake in getting to the truth. As Mr. Chalabi suggests, ideally that would
be in public, before Congress.

Mr. Chalabi has long maintained good relations with Iran, in particular to
gain access to northern Iraq during Saddam's rule. But this is hardly news
to U.S. officials, who financed the INC's Tehran office. In any event, the
last thing Iran's mullahs want is the emergence of a secular, stable,
Shiite-led free government of the kind Mr. Chalabi has long favored.

So what's really going on here? We think Mr. Chalabi is a pawn in a much
larger battle that is strategic, ideological and personal. On the first, he
has long battled the CIA over the best way to topple Saddam. The Agency
argued for, and tried to arrange, a coup that would leave most of the
Baathist regime in place, and it predicted after the first Gulf War that
Saddam would fall within two months.

Mr. Chalabi correctly argued that Saddam's control was too tight and that
only a U.S. invasion would succeed. He was wrong himself in overestimating
how much Shiites would help in rebelling against Saddam, and clearly some of
the INC's intelligence was mistaken. But then so was the CIA's; twice it
told President Bush that Saddam had been killed and after both attempts Mr.
Chalabi was correctly saying he was still alive. The man who told Mr. Bush
that it was a "slam dunk" that Saddam had WMD wasn't Mr. Chalabi; that
source was CIA Director George Tenet.

The ideological battle concerns Iraq's future governance. As a secular
Shiite, Mr. Chalabi has sought to make an alliance with Grand Ayatollah
Sistani and other moderate Shiite leaders. This puts him at odds with
Lakhdar Brahimi, the U.N. special envoy to Iraq, as well as with the
neighboring Arab leaders who are wary of control by the Shiite majority.

Jordan's King Abdullah, a longtime Chalabi enemy who is close to Mr.
Brahimi, has already called for another Sunni strongman to run Iraq. Mr.
Bremer and the Bush Administration have handed control over the June 30
transition to Iraqi sovereignty to Mr. Brahimi, and one of his demands is
that Mr. Chalabi be frozen out.

As for the personal, Mr. Chalabi is a blunt man who can seem arrogant even
to his friends. Unlike some others on the Iraqi Governing Council, he has
frequently been critical of Mr. Bremer and has fought him over many issues,
especially elections and the probe into the U.N. Oil for Food scandal.

All of this is to suggest that there are many people, in the U.N. and U.S.
government, who were only too happy to see Mr. Chalabi humiliated in that
raid and then trashed afterward. The idea that this could have taken place
without Mr. Bremer's blessing is impossible to credit. Mr. Bremer has
pleaded lack of resources to explain why no one from Saddam's circle has yet
been tried for a crime, but somehow an Iraqi judge found the time and money
to investigate Mr. Chalabi.

The mystery is how any of this serves U.S. interests. Iraqis have now
witnessed America turn quickly against, and even ransack the home of, one of
its longtime allies. This will not make more of them eager to take our side.

Meanwhile, back in Washington, critics of Mr. Bush's Iraq policy are using
the raid and the leaks as an excuse for demanding a purge of anyone who ever
supported Mr. Chalabi. A Monday piece in the New York Times, based on more
anonymous leaks, noted that "intelligence officials" are investigating "a
handful of officials in Washington and Iraq who dealt regularly with Mr.
Chalabi." Are they Iranian agents too?

We still believe Mr. Bush can succeed in Iraq. But the Chalabi fiasco is
emblematic of the mistakes this White House has made in not deciding among
its warring camps on Iraq policy, and in failing to exert any discipline on
its factions at the CIA and the State Department that oppose Mr. Bush's
policy. We don't know what role Iraqis will decide Mr. Chalabi should play
in their future government--perhaps it will be none. But we do know that the
way for America to succeed in Iraq is not to make war on its friends.