IRAQI NATIONAL CONGRESS STATEMENT
CHALABI DENOUNCES POLITICAL MANIPULATION OF IRAQI JUSTICE SYSTEM

BAGHDAD (8 August 2004):  Dr Ahmad Chalabi today denounced the manipulation
of the Iraqi justice system for political purposes and called the charges
made against him false and outrageous.

Following is the text of Dr Chalabi's statement:  "The charges that I have
been involved in counterfeiting Iraqi currency are false and outrageous.  I
can easily prove that these charges are untrue and I intend to defend myself
and clear my name.  In my position as chairman of the Finance Committee of
the Iraqi Governing Council I had the responsibility to oversee the Central
Bank of Iraq.  The Finance Committee had collected samples of counterfeit
Iraqi currency as part of this oversight role.  I held several meetings with
the Governor and Deputy Governor of the Central Bank on this issue.  It is
these samples that Iraqi police found when they illegally raided our offices
last May.  The idea that I was involved in counterfeiting is ridiculous and
the charges are being made for political purposes."

"The person making these charges, Zuhair Maliki, is not a bona fide Iraqi
judge but rather an unqualified person who was put in his position by the
American occupation authorities.  He has consistently attempted to
manipulate the justice system for political purposes.  He has pursued a
political vendetta against the Iraqi National Congress and has made numerous
public statements in the media attacking the INC and me personally.  He must
be removed and the Iraqi justice system must be placed in the hands of
independent and qualified jurists."

Contact: [EMAIL PROTECTED]