From: Collins, Kevin [mailto:KCollins@;nesbittengineering.com]
Sent: Friday, October 25, 2002 2:38 PM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: [Samba] Samba Server in a WinNT 4 Domain

Greetings all:

I currently have three Windows NT 4 domains.  I'm evaluating the switch
to either (at least) a mix of RedHat Linux or a total switch to RedHat.
For file serving processes, I'll utilize SAMBA.

For my first test, I've been looking at/trying to duplicate and then
replace the services of my least obtrusive server - our Proxy Server -
with an older workstation for the Linux machine.  One of the core
functions of this server (outside of Internet Access) is handling our
FTP site.  Currently I have the folders (directories) that house our FTP
site open to the Internal LAN so my users can deposit files on to them
without asking (bugging ;-) ) me.  So, of course I want to do this with
Linux/Samba.  I've got the machine running - using winbind to
authenticate users at the domain controllers and not locally.  But I'm
having a sporadic problems with the Linux machine "disappearing" from
network.

Let me try to be more specific:
Linux Machine info:
        Gateway 2000 GP6-350 (Pentium II 350) with 256MB of RAM
        2 Network Cards - 3Com 905CTX (eth0 "External"), Netgear FA311
(eth1 "Internal")
        RedHat Linux 7.3 (all latest patches from Red Hat Network
yesterday)
        SAMBA 2.2.6 (from samba.org yesterday)
        Built SAMBA with the "--with-winbind" switch

>From Linux, I get proper info when I use "wbinfo -u/-g", returning info
from all three domains (they all trust each other).  I can "ps -ax |
grep mbd" and see both smbd and nmbd running.  I can then "ps -ax | grep
winbind" and see the winbind daemon running.  I can "smbclient -L
localhost" and see what should be shared to the LAN, as I expected it to
be.  I can ping, nslookup, nmblookup, etc. and everything is working
fine.

>From Windows (only Windows 2000 clients thus far) I can see the new
SAMBA machine in "My Network Places" - the W2k equivalent to the Network
Neighborhood.  This is true for my Windows NT servers as well.  I can
double-click on the SAMBA machine and after a (very) long pause, I get
presented with the expected lists of shares.  I double-click on a share
and after another (very) long pause I can see files in the shares.  But
here's where it gets flaky...

After a period of time (no pattern here that I can tell) I can no longer
access the SAMBA shares or even pull a list of shares from the machine.
When this happens, I try the old method for connections - the "net"
command.  I can issue "net view \\gateway" or "net use X: \\gateway\ftp"
and I get this in return:

        H:\>net view \\gateway
        The Server service is not started.
        More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2114.

When I check out error "2114" I really get no more helpful info - it all
applies to Windows' services...

The funny thing about this whole problem - after another few minutes the
machine begins working again, and the whole process starts over again.
During these "blackout" times, the SAMBA machine still appears in "My
Network Places", but I think that's because of how Windows cache's
things.  The machine is always back up before the cache time expires.

At first, I thought I had the Firewall (IPChains) blocking it.  But I've
checked that and ports 137-139 on both TCP and UDP pass through just
fine (I have the firewall down at this point).  Then I thought it was
because of the two NICs I had, but I've limited SAMBA to the "Internal"
and loopback interfaces.  I've also added the "bind interfaces = true"
to the smb.conf.  The "external" NIC isn't even plugged up yet.

I'm not exactly sure what else I need to send that may be helpful, but
if any additional info is needed, I'll be more than happy to forward it
along.

Thanks,

Kevin L. Collins, MCSE
Systems Manager