I'm having an issue with users on the network. We replaced a printer with a newer HP model. When someone tries to add that printer to their machine, it asks them to install a Win98 driver for an HP printer.

Initially, the setup was to have the drivers on the server and have them install automatically through printers.def. There were a few issues about the various versions of Windows that prevented us from doing so, i.e. not a Samba issue.

I have removed the printer and recreated it. I have removed the directives that point the the drivers share.

Where would driver information be stored and how can I have it ask for the printer driver when I have someone connect to it? I'm assuming it has to do with the Master Browser retaining the information.

Here is the "Normal View" of the config.
# Global parameters
[global]
workgroup = xxxx.COM
netbios name = BRONCOS
encrypt passwords = Yes
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd
log file = /var/log/samba.log.%m
max log size = 250
name resolve order = host wins lmhosts bcast
socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY
dns proxy = No
wins server = 199.117.189.222
invalid users = root
printer admin = @users
short preserve case = No
mangle case = Yes

[phplj403]
path = /tmp
guest ok = Yes
printable = Yes
printer driver file =
browseable = No

[research]
path = /tmp
printable = Yes
printer name = phplj403

On phplj403, the "printer driver file =" appears only on that particular printer. There is no driver information.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
--
Dave Higgins