I have an odd problem with a smb mounted directory to a Windows XP machine.
If I mount a filesystem from the XP machine on my linux box and repeatedly do a "ls -l" or a "find ./ -print" sometimes
some files are missing from the listing.
I tried this with both 2.2.3a and 2.2.6. I'm Using WindowsXP and RedHat 7.3.

Details:

in /etc/fstab
//firefly/photos /win/photos smbfs debug=10,username=user,password=password 1 3

output from test:
% cd "/win/photos/test directory"
% ls | wc
156 156 2654
% ls | wc
155 156 2654
% ls | wc
158 156 2654
% ls | wc
156 156 2654
If I pipe the output to a file (for each run) and then diff them, I see a few files consistently come and go. These are all jpg files and windows is NOT accessing them, or doing anything in the directory at the time.
eg: % ls | grep 3009
230-3009_IMG.JPG
% ls | grep 3009
230-3009_IMG.JPG
% ls | grep 3009
230-3009_IMG.JPG
% ls | grep 3009
230-3009_IMG.JPG
% ls | grep 3009
% ls | grep 3009
% ls | grep 3009
% ls | grep 3009
230-3009_IMG.JPG
% ls | grep 3009
230-3009_IMG.JPG

I can also do a "find ./ -print" and see the same inconsistencies.

I'd really appreciate some held trying to fix this... Its really causing me grief! I've tried to enable debugging so I can see the data going between the two machines when I do the ls, but I can only get smbmount to dump debug info when connecting, not when doing transactions. Any idea how do get more detail?
If anyone needs more info, I'd be glad to provide it....

Thanks,
Daryl