run smbpasswd -a root and put in root's password.

create a unix group called ntadmins and put your username jsacksteder in it. then run:

net groupmap add rid=512 ntgroup="Domain Admins" unixgroup=ntadmins type=d

then run:

net rpc rights grant ntadmins SEMachineAccountPrivilege

and enter root's password. now the user jsacksteder is a domain administrator that can join computers to the domain (And vista will recognize as an administrator when you install software and UAC prompts for a user/pass.

jeff sacksteder wrote:
As you say, I see 'root = administrator' in smbuser, but I am still
unable to authenticate as administrator. During the authentication
attempt the following log entry is recorded-

check_ntlm_password:  Authentication for user [administrator] ->
[administrator] FAILED with error NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER

 I believe that I need to use make an entry with pdbedit linking the
domain admin sid to root.
However, trying that produces-

smbldap_search_domain_info: Searching
for:[(&(objectClass=sambaDomain)(sambaDomainName=MYDOMAIN))]
smbldap_open_connection: connection opened
Username not found!

So what more do I need to add?

On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 10:15 AM, Adam Williams