Roger D Vargas wrote:
Adam Williams escribió:
What i want is to use default system users (/etc/passwd) for
authentication. The problem is that i already have 2 domains, with users
forced to have accounts in both, the mail password and the proxy
password. Security policies requires changing all those passwords and I
dont want to deal with a fourth password for samba. I know it is quite
old idea, I implemented it almost 10 years ago, but people is used to
access their home folders using their "mail" password and i would like
to keep it that way.
Also my resources are so scarce that I have a single server, so I cant
research an ldap migration  withouth breaking stuff in the server that
handles mail ,proxy, samba and firewall.

why not? i upgraded a live system from /etc/passwd to ldap and didn't break anything. you can use the migration scripts provided with openldap to load the users into ldap, and use pdbedit to import the tdbsam/smbpasswd users to openldap, then configure and enable nss_ldap so that now pam is authenticating users in ldap, delete the users from /etc/passwd, then config samba to use ldap and restart it. you can install microsoft virtual pc 2007 sp1 for free on a windows computer, and install linux in it and do all the testing you need.