your bet was right.. fumbling fingers and neglected running
testparm...

imangling method = hash2

don't work :-(

where as

mangling method = hash2

worked splendidly.
Luckily, I'm only using this server for testing
how well samba works under load, so all data is
considered junk at all times ... hopefully, in a
few weeks, it will be heading for production though
and I'll be rid of the last windoze server in my
server den...

Thanks to all

Bill

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
My bet was hash2 too... what exactly was it that you tried?  Did you
repopulate the directory after setting the new mangling method?  Not
sure, but it might make a difference (i.e. copy the files from the
server to somewhere safe, set mangling method = hash2 in smb.conf,
restart samba, copy files back to the server, see if things work
better).  I haven't needed to do this (I started with mangling method
already set to hash2), so no guarentees it will fix anything, but it's
what I would try first if I were in your situation.

~ Daniel