Hi,

I am trying to get my Samba installation to use PAM under Ubuntu.  I have
created the /etc/pam.d/samba, but as far as I can tell samba is not using the
directives in there.  I have ssh and netatalk using PAM successfully against a
Kerberos ticket issuer, so I know my PAM installation is working for some
services.   I am sure I have something wrong in my smb.conf as I am a bit of a
newbie with samba when it comes to PAM.

My /etc/pam.d/samba file is a clone of my netatalk PAM file, because my
netatalk shares are working just fine.

Here is my [global] section from  smb.conf:

[global]
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
        obey pam restrictions = yes
        map to guest = bad user
        # encrypt passwords = true
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u