On 05/24/2010 04:46 PM, Steve Wolfe wrote:
I have a fairly old Samba server, 3.0.25, on CentOS 4.8.  I'd like to update
it to something more modern, so I grabbed the "Enterprise Samba" 3.5 RPMs
for RHEL, and went to work on a test machine.

After upgrading via "rpm -U ./*.rpm", starting nmbd and smbd, I can no
longer log in to the domain, I get:

netlogon_creds_server_check failed. Rejecting auth request from client
FREESCALE machine account FREESCALE$

While /etc/samba/smbpasswd remains seemingly untouched from the upgrade, I
have to delete and recreate each account before it will let me log in to the
domain.

Since there are about a hundred workstations (and more accounts), I'd like
to make this a more seamless transition... any tips for a newb?

I am guessing that smbpasswd is not in the TDB format supported by Samba 3.5. I think the older format got dropped along the way.

Are the user accounts OK? You could prob use "pdbedit -w" (from the old version) to dump the accounts to a text file. And then maybe write a script (perl has a nice split command) to parse the file into a list of machine names. And then run something like
    for i in `cat thelist.txt` do
    smbpasswd -x $i
    smbpaswd -m -a $i
    done

The other option may be to use pdbedit to dump the passwd to a text or TDB file, backup /etc/smbpasswd and then use pdbedit (to reimport the accounts.