--- Original message ---
Subject: Re: [Samba] two PDCs
From: Scott Grizzard <sc...@scottgrizzard.com>
To: Tamás Pisch <pisc...@gmail.com>
Cc: <samba@lists.samba.org>
Date: Monday, 12/07/2010 12:38 AM

Of course, my users only visited each others' offices "occasionally".

If you have tons of movement between the offices, a one-domain
solution may be forced upon you...

Unfortunately, a lot of users are roaming users (teachers with laptop, and
users). My plan is that I will set up separate profile shares on both side, but at least they can use their own username and even change their password. So, I would like to try the multi-PDC scenario with master and slave LDAP
server, but I worry about a little.

It makes very little sense to have multiple PDC's, and only adds to both administrative and user confusion IMHO. Give the present workings of OpenLDAP, just pick a replication strategy the makes sense and use a single domain. I've built and run a single domain on a 15 node VPN with multi-master OpenLDAP backend, and it is remarkably resilient.

How are you intending to keep roaming profiles in sync (the files on
the server, not the stuff in LDAP)?  Are you going to use rsync?

Unless users jump from office to office, why bother. I would set road warriors with local profiles and and sync their stuff in a manner appropriate to there schedules/primary location.

----
Scott Grizzard
sc...@scottgrizzard.com
http://www.ScottGrizzard.com