It may depend somewhat on the domain or forest mode of the AD domain.

I had partial success with Samba 3.0.x and a Windows 2003 domain in mixed mode. However the winbind idmap entries would expire from cache and not refresh. I couldn't get Samba 3.0.x to trust an AD domain in Windows 2003 native mode. Upgrading to Samba 3.4.8 seems to have resolved the Win 2003 compatibility issue. However, I had to manually create winbind idmap entries in samba (LDAP backend) for each Windows 2003 user- there weren't that many and it changes rarely.