I would bet this isn't going to work. I used to run PC NetLink (as an alternative to samba.) There were some registry changes (signorseal) that would let XP machines join a PCNL domain but they never worked with Win 2003. And that was with WIn 2003 as a domain member not a server.

If you google "XP signorseal" it you should find the settings I mean.

My guess is your time would be better spent replacing the server then trying to get the old setup working.

Alternately you could download Samba 3.x from SunFreeware, already compiled for Solaris 8. But I am pretty sure that Samba 2.x uses smbpasswd as a backend by default and I don't know if Samba 3.x supports that anymore. (Pretty sure it doesn't- but you may be able to convert.)