Hello Volker!

Thank you very much for your time that you spent to help me!

1a). Is it correct that "kernel change notify" is a "per share"
setting and not in the [global] section, so that I will have to put
It's a global setting, putting it into [global] once is
enough.

Ok!

2. Is it correct that if I do insert "kernel change notify = No" to
my shares, that I won't be able to see changes in the folders from
my Windows Clients, but I will have to manually trigger a refresh
("F5") each time I want to see if changes have occured? E.g. if many
users save files to a share, I won't see those new files until I
trigger a refresh manually? Or is it only concerning the changes
that a linux-process might have performed, e.g. a cronjob that
copied a file into a share?

It's the latter. If other cifs clients change something,
it should still work.

I see.

3. Did I do anything wrong, or is this a problem with the standard
kernel included in openSUSE 11.2? Is there anything I can do about
it?

Not sure here. Very likely not your fault, but I would need
to see a box where this happens myself to be 100% sure.

Is this a common problem? I mean: why do I suffer from this and others not?

Volker, Andrew Masterson answered in this thread, that he has the same problem, as me and that he places "notify:inotify = false" in [global] to avoid the spamming in /var/log/messages.

If I understand correctly, with your solution I turn the problem off, but suffer from some compromise in functionality, while in Andrew's solution I actually do not turn the problem off, but just do not log it anymore. What solution should I prefer by your opinion, in terms of a rocksolid server configuration?

Thank you for your help!
Best regards
Tom