Jim Carter wrote on Samba-digest:

Message: 17
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2003 20:10:49 -0800 (PST)
From: Jim Carter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Brad <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [Samba] Printing with CUPS & Samba...

On Wed, 1 Jan 2003, Brad wrote:

So this is on the client (Red Hat 8 box)? And do you have cups installed on
the client? And have you made any changes to the cupsd.conf file on the
client?

Yes, on the client both client.conf and cupsd.conf are unhacked.  While
they were given by my distro, it looks like they are just the ones that
come with the cups sources.

And did you tell it where the printer was?

No, the broadcasts are sufficient.  Server broadcasts are on by default.
No -- they are *not*. Not any more. (They used to be up until about 2 years
ago).

When popular end-user distros like Mandrake starte to ship CUPS as default
printing system, with easy configuration of dial-in into ISP with ISDN
and such, it lead to automatic dial-in attempts with each broadcast server
occuring, because the default broadcast address was 255.255.255.255 (that
is "broadcast through all available interfaces").

Don't mix up the 2 directives

   "Browsing Om"

and

   "BrowseAddress 255.255.255.255"

While "Browsing" in CUPS-speak is related to the broadcasting feature,
a "Browsing On" (the default) does *not" automatically conduct broadcasts
(the "server" feature) -- it merely enables the *listening* to other
broadcasts for the client part of the CUPS daemon. Only with a valid
"BrowseAddress" setting there will be broadcasting done by the server.
So, by default, CUPS source code (and all distros known by me) ship with
a cupsd.conf configured to make a working *client*. Plug it in and start
printing with no further configuration (or printer installation) *if* you
are within the reach of some CUPS server's broadcasts.

If you want a CUPS *server*:

  * install printers on it
  * enable the broadcasts by uncommenting the line "BrowseAddress  255.255.255.255"
    (and possibly adapt the actuall b'cast address to your environment)

I can use the printer at work, suspend the laptop, resume at home, and
within 30 seconds it realizes that the work server and printer have
disappeared and the home server and printer have come to life.

I read that the server broadcasts
the printer availability, but it doesn't seem to work here.

If the clients are on a different subnet from the server, you have to do
some special stuff to either send unicast announcements to a list of
clients on the other nets, or have a cups server on a gateway machine
rebroadcast the real server's packets.
...or make all clients "poll" the server.

For example, are
you suggesting that I should be able to just start OpenOffice writer and send
a print job to the "genetic printer" (default) and it will know that there is
a CUPS server present and so send it to the server?
This will work -- *if* there is a default printer defined and/or if the $PRINTER
environment variable isn't empty.

OpenOffice looks into "/etc/printcap" for a list of available printers.
CUPS doesn't need a printcap to work. But CUPS can write one for all
clients depending on it. Make sure a directive "Printcap /etc/printcap"
is in your cupsd.conf. Then all your printers should appear in your
OpenOffice drop-down printer selection menu(s).

To make it more spiffy, you could map the "Generic Printer" to a GUI
print command (like KDE's wonderful "kprinter", or "xpp", or "glp" of
ESP Print Pro, or "gtklp") by using the "spadmin" utility in OpenOffice.
There is a more detailed instruction on

   http://printing.kde.org/faq/kdeprint.phtml#out_6

which once was written for StarOffice, but can easily be used as guideline
for OpenOffice too...

(I am missing any relation to Samba here  --  but I haven't followed the
relavant for native CUPS clients on any Unix-based OS. A native Windows
client for CUPS is not yet ready for release or beta-testing....   ;-)

Cheers,
Kurt

P.S.:  And don't forget to to uncomment the last lines in "/etc/cups/mime.types"
       and "/etc/cups/mime.convs" should you experience print files from
       Windows clients (via Samba) which get tagged as "unable to convert
       into printable format".......

It works for me (using LyX, Opera, etc) -- if the app can do "lpr filename"
or "lp filename", the page will go to the printer which the server
designates as the default.

Can you please post (or email) your cupsd.conf?

I'll mail it separately.

James F. Carter          Voice 310 825 2897    FAX 310 206 6673
UCLA-Mathnet;  6115 MSA; 405 Hilgard Ave.; Los Angeles, CA, USA 90095-1555
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.math.ucla.edu/~jimc (q.v. for PGP key)