I believe I remember seeing a similar thread and it was

disabling oplocks in samba ?

On 10/12/2011 10:30 AM, free...@gmx.ch wrote:
Hi Listmembers

Problem:
Windows Clients having problems with Microsoft Office App's (Excel, Word) when the files
are on the Samba Share "documents" (which is mapped through a Windows Drive
Letter on the client). Two clients have MS Office 2003. They can open doc Documents but
when they want to save it error messages are appearing (message about to less space on
drive, but this is a false errormessage). Saving of documents does not work and MS Office
crashes. Sometimes Word is crashing already when the user opens a document. Same with XLS
document. One client has MS Office 2010. He can open and save changes in Microsoft Office
Documents. But saving changes, even small ones, are taking 30 seconds.

Clients which are using Open Office having no problems. They can even open and
saving the MS Office document without Problem. Also with other Applications
there are no problems (ex. opening pdf documents, txt documents with notepad
etc.).

So the problems occurs only while working with this share "documents" and using Microsoft Office. I've got
another share on the same Samba Server named "personal". The Microsoft Office clients have no problems on
this share. The only difference is that the "path" from "personal" share in smb.conf is not a NFS
Mount but a location on the harddisk of the server itselve (ext3 partition).

So the problem has something to do with using Samba shares which have their
path on NFS Mounts.

System environment:

Centos 5.x Server
Samba Version  3.0.33

***Samba Config****
[global]
         workgroup = OfficeLAN
         server string = qube2
         lanman auth = Yes
         client NTLMv2 auth = Yes
         time server = Yes
         add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g samba-clients
-s /bin/false -M %u
         logon script = %U.bat
         logon drive = M:
         logon home = \\%N\profiles\%U
         logon path =
         domain logons = Yes
         os level = 65
         preferred master = Yes
         domain master = Yes
         wins server = 10.0.10.12
         wins support = Yes
         ldap ssl = no
         admin users = @sysadmin
         printer admin = @sysadmin
         cups options = raw

[documents]
         comment = documents
         path = /home/nfs_qube2/documents
         force user = admin
         read only = No
         guest ok = Yes

*******

The "documents" share is on a NFS Mount which is mounted in /etc/fstab
10.0.10.13:/vol/nfs_qube2/office-data /home/nfs_qube2 nfs
rw,bg,vers=3,tcp,timeo=600,rsize=32768,wsize=32768,hard,intr

Thanks for any advice