Is this a single domain controller environment (1 PDC) or do you also
have one or more BDC's?

Are you using WINS?      that should help clients find domain controllers.

Is there is difference between XP and Windows 7 clients?   As you
probably know,  you can login to a windows machine with cached
credentials even if it is not connected to the network.   I found with
Windows 7 machines sometimes you may have logged into the computer with
your network account, the domain controller was not reached, you get
authenticated with cached credentials and you don't know there is an
issue until you try changing your password.      This is more likely to
happen with laptops that may get disconnected and reconnected from the
network with out doing a complete shutdown 1st.

"pdbedit -Lv username" should show you if the "X" flag is set for the
user-  if the "X" flag is set the user's password should never expire
even if the domain policy sets a max password age.

If you have an ldap browser, look at the top level sambaDomainObject.
There may be  a sambamaxpwdage (n seconds) param.