Is this samba 3.x

Samba 3.x domains and domain controllers function like Windows NT4 domains. They are not like Windows 200x Active Directory servers and domains.

The domain name has to be a simple netbios compatible name. A single name not fqdn. I do not believe that "." are a valid character. I think the domain name can not exceed 15 or 15 characters.