My 2nd samba packages for ubuntu didn't work out as well either. The configuration from git.debian.org doesn't build the basic packages providing smbd, nmbd, etc...

The configuration of the debian-experimental branch in the abartlet/samba-debian.git on gitweb.samba.org seems to be ahead of that. Finally I was able to install the packages I've build using that configuration with the 4.0.1-sources on a blank ubuntu12.4 server installation and it's running very well so far.