For reference, my smbd.conf is as follows:

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = SMC
        realm = internal.stmaryscollege.co.uk
        netbios name = XEN-ARCH-AD-01
        printcap name = /etc/printcap
        load printers = no
        dns forwarder = 192.168.0.30
#DNS handled by BIND
        server services = -dns

        log level = 1
        max log size = 10240
        log file = /var/log/samba/samba.log.%d
        debug uid = yes
        debug timestamp = yes
        allow dns updates = secure
        nsupdate command = /usr/bin/nsupdate -g
        spn update command = /usr/sbin/samba_spnupdate

        idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
        winbind nss info = rfc2307

#Small file tuning
        read raw = no
        level2 oplocks = true

On 08/05/2013 10:10, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
On Tue, 2013-05-07 at 21:55 +0100, Alex Matthews wrote:
Hi there,

I have three S4 servers running as AD DCs.
In order to keep the sysvol share in sync I'm using crontab to run the
following command:

/usr/bin/rsync -PavAX --delete root@<masterPDC>:/var/lib/samba/sysvol/
/var/lib/samba/sysvol/

However everytime this command is run a couple of extra smbd processes
are started on the <masterPDC> (between 2 and 5 processes) which never
exit and just sit there taking up resources. So, quite quickly I had a
system with over 500 smbd processes and no free memory which very
abruptly fell over and stopped serving genuine clients.

Has anyone else come across this issue/know what is causing it?

I have taken some level 10 logs of the smbd processes that get formed.
However I don't have access to them from my current location. I will
email them in tomorrow from work.
My best guess is that the winbind part of samba's AD DC is making a
connection, but never closing it.

Andrew Bartlett