On 05/25/2013 06:30 AM, X-Dimension wrote:
We had used Samba 4 alpha 17 for a long time and want to update our server now to Samba 4.0.x. The old Samba versions was using NTVFS and Samba 4.0.x is now using S3FS by default.

So, what is the best practice now? Should we stay on NTVFS or should we switch to S3FS?

The global part of our smb.conf looks like this:

---
[global]
        interfaces = eth0
        netbios name = PDC
        passdb backend = samba4
        realm = MYDOMAIN.LAN
        # Global parameters
        server role = domain controller
        server string = PDC
        workgroup = MYDOMAIN
---

When we start Samba 4.0.x with this configuration, is it using NTVFS like before or is it using S3FS then?

Thx for help!
S3FS, as you don't have an explicit service for ntvfs, you can check with testparm -v

Matthieu.

--
Matthieu Patou
Samba Team