I would compare the LDAP attributes between a problem machine and a working machine. Each machine has to have a unique unix account name and SID.

Normally you don't need to precreate the samba acct with "smbpasswd -a -m" or pdbedit. However it may help with the diagnostics to see what is not getting created. If you use smbpasswd or pdbedit to create the account, then use the ldap editor to fill in the missing attributes then you should be able to join the domain.

Also double check that machine accounts are not being created in some other LDAP ou than you expected. you might be trying to fix one ldap entry while samba is creating one somewhere else.

It gets tricky when you use smbpasswd or pdbedit to create an account and it sees some attributes ther