If you use raid you should either use a true hardware raid (e.g from LSI or Adaptec) or true software raid. The firmware raid (aka fake raid) included on some motherboards is just asking for trouble. For the price of the true hardware raid card you might as well stick with software raid.

Hot swap bays for SATA disks that you can use with a tower PC fairly cheap.

http://www.supermicro.com/products/accessories/mobilerack/CSE-M35T-1.cfm

Don't cheap out of the disks though.    Get 7200 RPM  server or raid disks.

I set up something Solaris which gave me the benefits of ZFS. If you don't need the zfs functionality I would stick with a linux distro that are comfortable with.

Supermicro (and other) also was a range for whitebox tower and servers that are cheaper than buying from Dell or HP. Of course there is no customer support or extended warranty.