Hello,

Am 29.07.2013 16:10, schrieb iss...@aralar.edunet.es:
The win8 machine is able to resolve the netbios name of the server.
ping works fine. I ping the netbios name and it returns the ip address.

I attach the 4 screenshots.
- the first is the message I get on trying to join the domain
- the 2nd -> 4th is just to show the network settings of the client. We
normally leave all on default settings.

The surprising thing is that win7 and winxp join the domain without
problems and use exactly the same network settings as the win8.

I send you also my samba 4.x global configuration.

[global]
     workgroup = CMARALAR
     server string = Servidor
     interfaces = 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0
     bind interfaces only = Yes
     deadtime = 5
     load printers = No
     add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd  -c Machine -d
/var/lib/nobody -s /bin/false %m$
     logon script = conecta.vbs
     logon path = \\%N\profiles\%U
     logon drive = Z:
     domain logons = Yes
     os level = 65
     preferred master = Yes
     domain master = Yes
     ldap ssl = no
     idmap config * : range =
     idmap config * : backend = tdb
     hide special files = Yes
     hide unreadable = Yes
     hide unwriteable files = Yes
     veto files = /*-China*/*-runtime*/*.desktop*/

Note, I installed opensuse 12.2, after installation, I uninstalled
completely samba 3.x and installed samba 4.x, winxp, win7 joins the
domain without problems but win8 no! I remember we had the same problem
with the samba version that comes with opensuse 11.x and win7, it is
only when we installed opensuse 12.x that win7 was able to connect to
the samba version. Now the problem is with samba 3.x that comes with
opensuse 12.2 and also samba 4.x that is rumoured to support

When you wrote Samba 4 I automatically though "AD". Sorry. My fault. I run Samba 4 as AD DC. There XP, 7 and 8 doesn't require any changes to join the domain.

If you run Samba in a NT4 style domain, it seems that the DomainCompatibilityMode and DNSNameResolutionRequired changes are still required (at least in this articla about W8 and Samba 3.6.9): http://www.admin-magazine.com/Articles/Linux-with-Windows-8

Does it work if you change this two values?

Regards,
Marc