I wouldn't have even guessed that NT4 would join a modern AD domain. It looks like MS did provide client software to join a Windows 2000 AD domain. Or does the NT4 machine think it is in an NT4 / Samba3 type domain?

Presumably you can see the domain users in the local user manager program on the NT4 machine? And verify the security options.

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles-tutorials/windows-nt/nt4user.html

Do you have a a WINS server running? With XP/Windows 7 when you join an AD domain, the machine name usually gets set to a fully qualified domain name. e.g. mypc.mydomain.com. Does the host name of the NT4 machine match the expected AD fully qualified domain name (does nslookup ip_address on the NT4 machine return the expected hostname? ) Are all machines in DNS? I think a hostname or dns mismatch could cause problems validating AD kerberos tickets.

I am running Samba 3, not 4, but found that using a WINS server and making sure key systems were in DNS helped solve some issues.