On Fri, 2013-09-27 at 01:33 -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:

[SNIP]

> Please remember the Mac client developers do hang out on
> this list, so please make criticism constructive about
> actual bugs (although I do understand the need to let
> off steam occasionally). The Linux and smbclient clients
> aren't so consistent either :-).
>
> I do have a lot of sympathy in trying to write a redirector
> for something as complex, subtle and ever-changing as
> SMB*.

There is absolutely no excuse for example in writing an SMB client that
detects the server supports offline files and then changes it's
behaviour of how it handles symlinks. What on earth where they
thinking???

Again there is no excuse for an SMB client to totally ignore a recently
created Minshall+French symbolic link simply because the client itself
did not create it, then sometime later recognize it. Again WTF???

In short it is not possible to be constructive about such lunacy that is
the Mac OSX smb client. If the developers are hanging out on this list
then they need to know that their brain dead design decisions and
constant changing of behaviour in their client is a support nightmare.

JAB.

Fife, United Kingdom.