Hello Andrew,

Am 30.09.2013 21:55, schrieb Andrew Bartlett:
*Question 1*: The manpage says "state directory" is for persistent and
"cache directory" for non-persistent data. Ok. That's clear. But what is
stored in the "lock directory" and what is the reason why its content
isn't placed in one of the other two directories?

locks are for things that can (and should) go away at shutdown.  cache
is for things that are handy to have, but can be re-generated without
major cost (which makes it fiddly, as you then get to your next
question)

*Question 2*: Why is the "winbindd_cache.tdb" stored in the state
directory? Isn't it just a cache file?

The issue is that if this is treated as cache, and destroyed, then
offline logins fail after a reboot on a system that chooses to purge
such cache files.  I think there may also be some other persistent data
in there as well (others I hope will clarify).

At least that is how I understand the issue.  See also the FHS:
http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#PURPOSE33

Thanks for that good explanation. This clarifies my questions.

Regards,
Marc