If you have an existing LDAP structure, there will still be a separate field for the Windows password.

For samba 3.x, you can specify either an local backend or an ldap backend. You can not specify some attributes in ldap but not others. If you want to set up Samba to use LDAP backend you will need to have some admin privileges to on the LDAP server.