David F. Severski davidski at deadheaven.com wrote on Samba-Digest:

Sun Mar 30 06:55:36 GMT 2003

Kurt,

First of all, thank you very much for your time and assistance here. I greatly appreciate the effort. Below are my results and some further information.

On Sun, Mar 30, 2003 at 12:14:01AM +0100, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:

>I've recently attempted to convert from the Adobe PostScript drivers for >my Canon BJC=2110 printer over to the native CUPS Windows PS drivers

You can only do this if your CUPS version is sufficiently new.
Check by reading "man cupsaddsma". Does it already relate to the
CUPS PostScript drivers?

The cupsaddsmb man page does mention the native CUPS drivers. Sorry, I should have specified the CUPS version previously. This is CUPS 1.1.18 running on a FreeBSD 4.8-RC (STABLE) machine. Samba is, again, 2.2.8 and is compiled with the Recycle and SSL options. Samba, CUPS, and the supporting gimp-print systems were all compiled from source via the FreeBSD ports system.

You might need to restart Samba to get it to work (if you have the printer
"Canon_BJC", or any other, newly installed).

I've done a full stop of Samba, verifying that all smbd and nmbd processes have shut down, then restarted Samba.

If this doesn't help, let root do a

"smbcontrol smbd debug 3"

and then watch

"tail -f /var/log/samba/log.smbd" (or appropriate path)

while you try to connect to Samba from XP.

No luck there, I'm afraid. In tests with two machines, both generated the error message about missing driver files, even though the properties of the connection show that a Windows NT/2000 driver is installed, and the CUPS native PS driver files are copied successfully into the Windows\System32\Spool\
Drivers tree. Attached are two gzipped log files, smb-desktop.log and smb-laptop.log.

smb-desktop.log is an XP SP1 machine that is joined to the domain and logged in with an account that has write privileges to the print$ share. The desktop had just been rebooted, logged in, the existing printer deleted, and the driver removed from the system via the Server Properties function. No other printers or drivers were installed.

smb-laptop.log is an XP SP1 laptop that is not part of the domain. From a command prompt, I connected to the print$ share as root before deleting the existing printer connection, removing the printer driver via Server Properties, then reconnected to the printer.

Make sure the connection is as a user who can write to the [print$] share. Check which user you are from Samba's point of view, by asking for

"smbstatus"

Verified to be either root (for the laptop), or my privileged login account for the desktop.

David,

can you please verify, that "cupsaddsmb -v [printername]" completes
successfully This means, you need to have the "smbclient" command
putting the files successfully to the "print$" share, and afterwards
read "success" meassages in the output: 2 for the "rpcclient addriver"
commands and 1 for the "rpcclient setdriver" command...

Cheers,
Kurt