Yeri Swamy wrote:

Thanks a lot! for ur speedy reply...
The link u sent i looked at it very closely... i am still confused what to do...

It is not explained anywhere howto setup LDAP for Linux Samba BDC..
that means do i have to setup Linux Samba BDC as LDAP server or client or ???
I believe if i setup Linux Samba BDC as a LDAP server then do i have to setup WIN-NT PDC as LDAP client and how to transfer all the machine accounts, users, groups and passwords from NT to Linux..
So that when WIN-NT PDC fails then Linux SAMBA BDC can takeover the network...

with Best Regards
YS

John H Terpstra wrote:

Yeri,

The dogma to use rsync to replicate the password database is bad karma.
    "It's a bit like your karma runs over your dogma."

MS Windows NT Domain member machines change their password at certain
intervals. If they do so on a local copy of the database nad it gets
over-written by the rsync'd copy then your local workstation trusts get
broken.

A better solution is to use LDAP, and follow the guidelines available from
several sources on how to set up a PDC/BDC using an LDAP backend.

The following reference might help you:

http://samba.org/~jht/NT4migration/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf

- John T.