The only way I could get it to work was to have the following gdm pam config:

#%PAM-1.0
auth       required    pam_env.so
auth       sufficient   pam_winbind.so
auth       sufficient   pam_unix.so use_first_pass
auth       required    pam_stack.so service=system-auth
auth       required    pam_nologin.so
account    sufficient   pam_winbind.so
account    required    pam_stack.so service=system-auth
password   required    pam_stack.so service=system-auth
session    required     pam_mkhomedir.so skel=/etc/skel/ umask=0022
session    required    pam_stack.so service=system-auth
session    optional     pam_console.so

That will allow gdm to authenticate the user, but it will not allow usernames with a + or \ separator so the way around that is to set the following option:

winbind use default domain = yes

that will allow loging in with just the username. The only problem occurs when you have a user from another domain that needs to login.

Patrick

Brett Hales wrote:

Hi,

I am currently trying to set up a RedHat 9 Linux client to authenticate
against a Windows 2000 Active Directory server.

Using the Winbind documentation I have successfully authenticated
however I now have a problem with gdm.

Jun 18 12:18:48 jerry pam_winbind[1192]: user 'AU+Bhales' granted acces
Jun 18 12:18:48 jerry pam_winbind[1192]: user 'AU+Bhales' granted acces
Jun 18 12:18:49 jerry gdm(pam_unix)[1192]: session opened for user
AU+Bhales by (uid=0)
Jun 18 12:18:49 jerry gdm[1202]: gdm_slave_session_start: User not
allowed to log in

Does anybody know why gdm_slave_session_start is not allowing me to
login when pam_winbind has already authenticated me?

Thanks,