Interesting actually. I had not thought about this.
Is it possible to have more than one type of log?
Lets say I want to have:

log file = /var/log/smb/log.%U ---this will tell me when a user logged onto their account as well as logged off, correct?
Also, i have this in my smb.conf:

log file = /var/log/smb/log.%m

Which, gathers machine information.

What I was curious about is i'd like to setup my logging so I can see any potential problems with machines, and also set up logging so I can view when people logged onto the domain as well as logging off the domain.

Any recommendations? Or what would work best?

Thanks.

Jason