My smbpasswd file is empty. I am ptretty sure Samba uses LDAP for authenticating users. Changing the password in LDAP database results in login errors, so there is a connection. The bart account is indeed the first, but I already noticed other accounts use the same user SID, so there is something wrong here with the increment indeed.
My system runs on Suse 8.2, and for now uses /etc/passwd file for local login since I could not configure ldap login at installation time.
I have to admit samba 3.0.0. takes a lot longer to get to work (at least with ldap backend) than the 2.2.x versions. I am not an unexperienced user, but I keep running in to problems.
Also, there are numerous sources (how-to's etc) to be found on the www, all telling different stories. Especially the LDAP configuration seems to be, at least in my case, the cause of trouble..

Thanks,

Bart.

Carl Weiss wrote:

If this solved you problem is sounds like your not really authenticating to
LDAP and just using the smbpassdb file, although it can read from LDAP it
may not be using it for Authentication.

Verify that you are using LDAP for authentication, you can run Authconfig in
redhat, otherwise you'll have to check you PAM. To test simply you can try
to login with your user Bart at the console( verify that the account isn't
in /etc/password).

Is the Bart account is the first user you created SID xxxxx3000 this is the
default first user, if all your accounts have this same sid they will not
authenticate. Points to an issue with the script smbldap-useradd.pl not
incrementing the sid, may also point to the above PAM problem.

-=carl=-

"Bart Bekker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thanks, problem solved.
But I am still confused. Why are those password tools delivered with
Samba, if they are not useful.. I saw in the LDAP that smbpasswd uses a
SMD5 encryption for the password; the smbldap-passwd tools adds them
using SSHA. No wonder it did not work.

Thanks again.

Bart.