That could be true. If you veto 'dot' files in smb.conf, then you would get strange permission errors from OS-X clients. OS-X wants to put ._filename files (AppleDouble versions of the resource forks) and .DS_Store files (containing some file metadata like Finder comments) on the server.

If you want to preserve resource forks to other Macs while using Netatalk on the same server, take a look at Baltra (a patch for Netatalk). There is also some configuration and related info there for Samba+Netatalk+Baltra:

http://www.baltra.org/

Also, I would suggest using Samba 3.x as the SMB service for OS-X. It solves some problems with filenames (unicode) and a few other oddities (Apple has used the Samba 3.0 base since at least Samba 3.0-alpha21 as the SMB service under OS-X and seemed to have used it for development/debugging of the SMB client in Darwin).

Good luck!

Phil

William Enestvedt wrote:

Is this related to handling of files with resource forks?
Manipulating files in Terminal, IIRC, ignores the resource fork -- but Finder actions (like dragging a folder to upload it) include those resources. You might try barking up this tree. :7) (Sorry I can't make any concrete suggestions.)
-wde
--
Will Enestvedt
UNIX System Administrator