I had a problem similar to this when I moved samba over from solaris to linux. I was never able to fix the problem and had to disable roaming profiles on about 50 computers.

jonlists wrote:

migrating a group of workstations to a Samba PDC-based domain. Machines join to domain fine, but when I try to copy the existing local profiles to the roaming profiles, I get a "Failed to set security on destination profile" - Access is denied"

I have added the domain user to the local machine as an administrator. When attempting to do the copy, I am logged into the samba domain as root. When I do the copy, I'm doing the following on Windows XP:

Control Panel/System - Advanced - User Profiles -

I select the old profile - which was local only (machine wasn't previously in another domain). I select Copy To, then browse to select the local documents and settings folder for the Samba domain user.

Under "permitted to use" - I select the Samba domain as the location. I enter the user's name, then check name, and the user name is returned without error in the form of DOMAIN/user.

However, when I attempt to do the copy, I get the error: "Failed to set security on destination profile" - Access is denied"

ideas?

Jon Johnston
Creative Business Solutions
IBM, Lotus, Microsoft Consultants