Foster, Ian (LogicaCMG) wrote:

We are in the process of commissioning a new HP server (on HP-UX 11i) and
have installed Samba which we have configured and used extensively before
without major problems (though not this version - 2.2.8.a). Samba ran OK
initially, but now we are getting failures with messages of 'smbd[pid]
Cannot initialize locking database' and 'no locks available' logged to the
syslog and no new connections can be established (can not even browse - get
message 'Network name could not be found'). This can only be cleared by
restarting the daemons.

I have checked our smb.conf file with the testparm utility and this looks
ok, and checked the parameters (including the defaults) against the smb.conf
man page at samba.org in an attempt to identify any bad config. I have also
verified the obvious - that the lock directory exists and the permissions
are correct (if they didn't I guess it would fall over straight away).

I have attached a dump of our global definitions for inspection.

Has anybody any ideas what may be causing this ? I have checked the Samba
web pages without success.

Is there a bad locking option here - or some other samba / kernel threshold
we are hitting ?
If I can't resolve this the filestore is going to NT !

Any help very gratefully recieved.

Hi,

could you send the real smb.conf, since RTF encoded testparm output is bit clumsy to read...?

I read in the testparm dump that you are in 'security=server' mode. Do you really need it? Does your server participate in a domain? 2.2.8a can happily participate in a NT4 or an NT4 compat on ADS domain.

And could you check with Sam the limits of the HP-UX kernel (number of processes for the system, by user, max number of open files, etc.)?

I'll check tomorrow on HP-UX server at work what kernel parameters could hit Samba.

Could you also set 'log level=' to a bit more than 1 to see more output in the logs? That would help.

Regards,

J.

--
Jérôme Fenal - Consultant Unix/SAN/Logiciel Libre
Groupe Expert & Managed Services - LogicaCMG France