Adam Williams wrote:

question 1
We have a corporate wide iplanet ldap server (which i can only read from) used for email. I tried to sync the passwords from this ldap-server with the samba-openldap one so my samba users only would have to remember one password. I used a script that fetches the (encrypted, sha1) passwords in a ldif file and ldapmodify this password to the samba-openldap. This part works. The problem is that samba want the sambaNTpassword and doesn't even look at the userpassword. Is there a way that i can make samba use the sha1 userpassword or do i have a "no go, bad luck" here.

"no go, bad luck"

Ok

Another solution would be to go the other way around so to update the corporate ldap server when someone changes his windows/samba password and that brings me to question number 2.
question 2
If i change the password from my windows workstation using the native windows change password mechanism the sambaNTpassword gets changed but the userpassword doesn't.

Right.

ok

I'm using the smbldap-passwd.pl tool. If i use this tool directly from the command line it does update the userpassword just fine. (using the same syntax as in the smb.conf.
When i turn "sync unix passwords" then the domain stops working (domain not foud)

That shouldn't happen.

Don't you mean "unix password sync"

Yes that is what i meant, it is the right syntax in my smb.conf (just checked to be sure)
So i have to make the unix password sync work and the my userpassword will get updated as well?

Regards