I have a very simple setup on a Solaris 8 server, running Samba 3.0.1 (see smb.conf
below). A desktop PC running Windows 98 (SE?) happily connects to and prints to my one
shared printer, but an XP Pro laptop takes a loooong time to install the local driver
and then just says "Access denied, unable to connect".
   I already told it to use a client driver and disabled spoolss. Here's my smb.cnf
file:
----------Start of smb.conf------------
[global]
        workgroup = jwu
        netbiosname = pvd-dat-60
        security = share
        dns proxy = No
        wins server = <IP redacted>
#       printcap name = /etc/printcap
        printing = sysv
        disable spoolss = Yes
#[temp]
#       path = /tmp
#       read only = Yes
#       guest ok = Yes
[pvdpar03lz02]
        comment = HP 9000hns
        path = /var/spool/samba
        printable = Yes
        browseable = Yes
        guest ok = Yes
#       read only = Yes
        use client driver = yes
   (The temp section was to test whether things worked before. I will actually delte
those lines when I solve this problem. I commented out the printcap line because I
don't want to share all the printers: I have a lot configured on this Sun but use a
Windows print server to publishing them to desktop PC users.)
   Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for everyone's time.
-wde
--
Will Enestvedt
UNIX System Administrator