From: Andy Moran [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, February 12, 2004 1:58 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Samba] Samba 3 with Unix passwd authentication?

Andrew Bartlett wrote: > It should work just the same. But things work better if you can

join

> the windows domain, so that users can use encrypted passwords (or
> maintain a local smbpasswd file)
>
> Andrew Bartlett

Nope.. For some reason, Samba 3 does not seem to be able to

authenticate

me as a local user where Samba 2.2.7 does.

I am on a Red Hat 9 box.  I am using the SRPM I downloaded from the
ftp.samba.org and rebuilt on this box.  The configure options of the
SRPM are:

CFLAGS="$RPM_OPT_FLAGS $EXTRA" ./configure \
        --prefix=%{prefix} \
        --localstatedir=/var \
        --with-configdir=/etc/samba \
        --with-privatedir=/etc/samba \
        --with-fhs \
        --with-quotas \
        --with-smbmount \
        --with-pam \
        --with-pam_smbpass \
        --with-syslog \
        --with-utmp \
        --with-sambabook=%{prefix}/share/swat/using_samba \
        --with-swatdir=%{prefix}/share/swat \
        --with-libsmbclient

The client error I'm getting back is: session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

The server error I see in the log files:

[2004/02/12 10:40:19, 2] auth/pampass.c:smb_pam_auth(514)
  smb_pam_auth: PAM: Athentication Error for user andy
[2004/02/12 10:40:19, 2] auth/pampass.c:smb_pam_error_handler(73)
  smb_pam_error_handler: PAM: Authentication Failure : Authentication
failure
[2004/02/12 10:40:19, 0] auth/pampass.c:smb_pam_passcheck(810)
  smb_pam_passcheck: PAM: smb_pam_auth failed - Rejecting User andy !

There is also a bit where it's checking ntlm_password which fails too:

[2004/02/12 10:40:19, 2] auth/auth.c:check_ntlm_password(312)
  check_ntlm_password:  Authentication for user [andy] -> [andy]

FAILED

with error NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD

As far as I can tell, /etc/pam.d/samba are the same in both versions.. But it works with Samba 2.2.7a. Strange?

--Andy

This message is the property of Time Inc. or its affiliates. It may be
legally privileged and/or confidential and is intended only for the use
of the addressee(s). No addressee should forward, print, copy, or
otherwise reproduce this message in any manner that would allow it to be
viewed by any individual not originally listed as a recipient. If the
notified that any unauthorized disclosure, dissemination, distribution,
copying or the taking of any action in reliance on the information
herein is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication
in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete this message.
Thank you.