[Samba] Solaris 8 and cups issues
Tim Russell timrussell at rocketmail.com
Fri Feb 6 01:09:37 GMT 2004

[....]

The windows share is set up with "raw" and the client then uses it's
own driver. The Solaris queue is set to HP and the generic laserjet.ppd. The windows queue prints fine but the unix queue prints nothing (it just
shows up as a cancelled job under the cups web interface).

...which means that you are asking this question in the wrong newsgroup. Better see if "http://www.cups.org/newsgroups.php"; is for you... ;-)

A few things you could check and tell the folks at cups.org:

* output of "ls -l /usr/lib/cups/filter/"
* output of "gs -h"
* output of "grep '*cupsFilter' /etc/cups/ppd/*"

You can set "LogLevel debug" in "/etc/cups/cupsd.conf", restart cupsd
and see what now goes into "/var/log/cupa/error_log".

If I change the Solaris queue to raw as well, it prints out garbage
(but it does at least print something).

One final note, we can't use the "configure" option in the cups gui
(localhost:631 and then printers) on shared printers. It gives a
"client-error".

"raw" queues don't have a PPD associated to them. "raw" queues can't be configured. "raw" queues spawn that error....

We don't specify individual printers in the smb.conf file
(we just tell it to share all of them) so I'm guessing that the few
printers I can do this too will stop allowing me to use the "configure" option once I restart samba.

This has nothing to do with Samba.

Do we need to go grab  gimp-print for more drivers or is this some
other problem?

No need for gimp-print....

If your HP is a PostScript model (you didn't name the type at all,
so I can't provide you with an exact download link...) use the "PPD"
file coming with the Windows driver CD (or download the PPD from
the HP website).

If it is a non-PS printer, use a PPD from the Linuxprinting.org
website, alongside the HP "hpijs" driver.. Which also requires a
newer version of Ghostscript -- best is ESP Ghostscript -- that
has the "ijs"-device compiled in (check with "gs -h | grep ijs")

Sorry for the long post (we're very close to getting this completely
working and I'm rambling now :)

Thanks,
-Tim

Cheers, Kurt