I have a similar problem with a group of XP machines. It appears that something is causing the Workstation service to die during bootup. If I log in as a local administrator and start the Workstation service manually (even though it is set for automatic), then log out, I can log in as a domain user and everything works as expected. The event log confirms that the Workstation service is dying during the boot. This problem appeared after upgrading from 3.0.1 to 3.0.4.

bbaker

Hi Kit,

Usually, problems with network access come from a lack of authentication.

here I'm pretty sure it's not an authentication problem. My Samba logs says:

check_ntlm_password: authentication for user [Andreas] -> [Andreas] -> [andreas] succeeded

there must be something changed between Samba 3.0.2 and 3.0.4.

Wolfgang